Sep 14, 2020
Justine Altman joins Sarah Clark as we’re digging into bioidentical
hormones and when/if you need to use them during the fertility
When I was diagnosed with POF/POI at 28 I was told that I
needed to get on hormone replacement therapy right away to protect
my bones, prevent osteoporosis, and protect my heart.
So I took a synthetic form of hormone replacement therapy for
And then I discovered that the root cause of my infertility
was a food sensitivity, gut infection, and chronic stress.
Many of my chronic health issues went away because I committed
to the diet and lifestyle changes.
I stopped taking hormone replacement therapy because of the
negative side effects of synthetic hormones.
But I know I still needed support with my hormones.
Enter bioidentical hormones.
You may be wondering "can I use bioidenticals if I am
They can be a good addition to your fertility toolkit...but
they need to be used at the right time (Lifestyle changes need to
be prioritized first before we take the hormones).
Because bioidenticals alone are not the answer, but they can be
part of the solution.
Today I'm welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral
part of our Couples Coaching program - which uses functional lab
testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve
conception. If you are struggling with infertility...your body is
desperately trying to tell you something...focusing on your health
will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go
to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner.
She was diagnosed with PCOS and struggled with infertility. She had
her first baby with fertility treatments, but after taking a
functional approach was able to conceive her 2nd child
On today's episode you'll learn:
1) The difference between bioidentical hormones and synthetic
hormones. Why pharmaceutical companies wouldn't have produced
2) The controversy surrounding hormone replacement therapy. We
discuss the studies.
3) The top mistake we see with hormone therapy (synthetic and
4) When to use bioidentical hormones and when will they be more
5) Why regular testing is key. Plus diet/lifestyle factors that are
essential to address when you are TTC. It's not about focusing
directly on the hormones - but relieving the stress on the body
(why are the hormones unbalanced, to begin with).
05:53- INTRO AND JUSTINE ALTMAN'S
07:29- THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SYNTHETIC AND
- The difference between their functions and side effects
- Why pharmaceutical companies would not just produce exclusively
- Different ways of administrating bioidentical hormones and the
12:00- CONTROVERSY WITH HORMONE REPLACEMENT
THERAPY AND THE RISK OF CANCER
- What research has found (and not found) in regards to the
effects of synthetic vs bioidentical hormones
- "Synthetic vs the bioidentical is really night and
14:10- FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE'S APPROACH TO
- Why focusing on hormones is the opposite of functional
- "If we take stress off the body the body starts to do
whats it's supposed to do."
- The importance of testing continually
17:45- WHICH HORMONES WE ARE TESTING FOR AND
THAT TEND TO BE LOW
- DHEA the "master hormone" and why we don't want too much of
- The balance of hormones in order for the body to function
- Testing first before supplementing
20:05- WHY TAKING ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE TOGETHER
- What "estrogen dominance" means and why it matters looking at
the individual to restore balance
22:02- WHEN TO USE BIOIDENTICAL
- Looking at lifestyle first at how that helps bioidentical
hormones be more effective
- "The body is meant to function optimally"
- How functional medicine views hormones
- "Hormone deficiency is not the problem, it's the
symptom of the problem."
26:25- MISTAKES WE REGULARLY SEE WITH
- Not testing properly and making it bio-individual
- "We don't treat the diagnosis."
27:43- HOW OFTEN SHOULD WE BE TESTING AND WHEN DO WE
- The importance of continually testing and sticking with the
- Focusing not just on the individual but the individual right
29:25- ACCESS TO DIFFERENT TESTS BASED OFF WHERE YOU
ARE IN THE WORLD
- United States, Canada, and Europe
31:35- DHEA CREAMS AND PRODUCTS
33:49- THOUGHTS ABOUT MACA
38:16- INFORMATION ABOUT A FREE CONSULT WITH
Text For US residents text FERTILE to 55444 to access
your free fertility yoga video.
For the non-US residents go to www.yogafreebie.com to access
your free fertility yoga video. In this 20-minute intro video, we
focus on a calming and peaceful practice to connect back to our
heart. These simple yoga poses can help quiet negative thoughts and
make you feel more in control.
Book your Free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery Call
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most
advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact
frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce
melatonin for restorative sleep and health)
Visit BLUBlox website at: http://bit.ly/BLUBlox
Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15%
discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Got questions? Join
Fertile Support Group
for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare
for pregnancy success.
are struggling with painful sex, vaginal dryness, urine leaks or
simply want to deepen your passion and intimacy I recommend Julva.
Seriously it's a game-changer! Get your free trial
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about
functional fertility solutions that will help you have your
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page
- filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive
discounts and support the show by making purchases
Other ways to support:
Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
Together we are strong.