Aug 31, 2020
Dr. Tabatha Barber joins us today as we’re
digging into what you wish your OB/GYN would have told you about
When I decided I was ready to start trying for a baby I went to see
my OB/GYN to get some testing. Since I already had irregular
cycles, I wanted to make sure everything was okay.
My OB/GYN gave me the diagnosis of POI/POF and literally handed me
the brochure about IVF. Telling me that donor eggs were my only
I didn’t get a second opinion. I didn’t dig deeper as to why at 28
I was told I would never have biological children.
I am fortunate to have both my children with donor eggs.
But what if my OB/GYN had told me about the functional
We’re digging into what tests/questions we wish were asked during
an appointment with an OB/GYN and what is missed for someone who is
struggling with infertility.
IVF is a big business. Globally the industry is estimated to be
worth 25 Billion and predicted to grow to 41 Billion by
I’m excited to welcome Dr. Tabatha Barber, double board-certified
in obstetrics and gynecology, and is a Certified Menopause
Practitioner through the North American Menopause Society. She has
also completed training through the Cleveland Clinic’s Institute
for Functional Medicine and The American Academy of Anti-Aging
I asked Dr. Barber when would you recommend someone go to the
fertility clinic and she said, “I wouldn’t”. And while this is a
very personal decision, many times we don’t know – what we don’t
know - and healing opportunities can be routinely
In this episode you’ll learn:
1) The conventional testing for
fertility (i.e. blood work, ultrasound, HSG etc.). We discuss the
basics that should be done.
2) What tests/questions we wish were asked during an appointment
with a gynecologist (for fertility). We discuss a mind, body, and
3) What is regularly missed with someone who is struggling with
4) We discuss the business of IVF. When should we refer to a
fertility clinic? How long should we focus on preconception
5) What are some blood markers to focus on if someone has been
struggling for 1 year/6 month if over 35?
6) We discuss the birth control pill, blood sugar imbalance,
bioidentical hormones, DHEA, progesterone, and more.
Stress is the number one factor
and the most ignored
It is okay to question your
6:00- DR. TABATHA BARTER BIO
7:05- DR. BARTER'S PERSONAL STORY
- Getting pregnant in high school in 11th grade and having
to drop out-- "I never really thought about my
- How she was treated as a pregnant woman, talked down to,
and made to feel like she "had no voice"
- Traumatic labor and delivery process that "scarred
- Realized there must have been other women who felt that
way- Asked herself, "How can I be a voice for women like
- The journey of becoming a doctor, struggling with her own
health, stumbled across functional medicine
when "conventional medicine
had failed" her
11:17- CONVENTIONAL TESTING FOR
- What are the basics? Is there a difference in testing at
- Which hormones are looked at during conventional tests
- Semen analysis and the importance of testing the male
- Other procedures for testing including looking at the
16:00- WHAT QUESTIONS DO YOU WISH THAT WERE SKED
DURING AN OBGYN APPOINTMENT
- The importance of talking about lifestyle and nutrition
- If your doctor is not concerned with holistic health it is a
- The mental and spiritual elements in the journey of
- "It's super common in conventional medicine for
miscarriages to be downplayed"
- Making optimizing your HEALTH a priority
- "All of our systems are interconnected"
22:55- WHAT IS MISSED WITH SOMEONE WHO IS STRUGGLING
- "Stress is the biggest key. We are all
- "Stress is the number one factor and the most
- Poor Sleep patterns and other often ignored
25:17- THE BUSINESS OF IVF
- The history of IVF, and although there is
a "place for it" it is overused
- The importance of investigating and "stepping
- The heartbreak of blind trust and using bandaid approaches
- "It is okay to question your doctor"
- "Once your eyes are open...you keep
- "You know your body the best"
30:52- AT WHAT POINT WOULD YOU REFER SOMEONE TO THE
- Taking the time to look at your nutrition and
32:00- BIRTH CONTROL AND HOW IT IMPACTS HORMONES
- How it shuts down your hormone system and its' impact on young
- We need to use the pill for what it is- preventing
- The importance of understanding the risks of the pill
- "Birth control pills are not the answer"
37:42- WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON SOMEONE WHO HASN'T HAD
THEIR PERIOD IN A YEAR?
- Considering your age
- The importance of a healthy period (embrace it!)
- "You should want to have a healthy period"
- Changing the dynamic of how you think about periods
- There are still things you can do to get your period back if
you are under 45
40:58- BLOOD SUGAR AND HORMONE BALANCE
- Inflammation and damage at the cellular level
- "Your fertility is microscopic"
- Stress hormones and how the body responds in
a "vicious cycles"
- Vitamin D's role in fertility
- How vitamin D is needed for hormone conversion
46:09- CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE'S APPROACH TO HORMONES
- Bioidentical hormones and the importance of still
addressing the root cause
- "You can take the supplement but your body is still
going to steal it"
- It matters what type you are taking
48:50- LISTENER QUESTIONS
- Early ovulation (ovulating before cycle day 10)
- Increasing chances of pregnancy with a diminished
ovarian reserve in the early 40s
50:21- SUCCESS STORY
53:09- FREE GUIDE
Text For US residents text FERTILE to 55444 to access
your free fertility yoga video.
For the non-US residents go to www.yogafreebie.com to access
your free fertility yoga video. In this 20-minute intro video, we
focus on a calming and peaceful practice to connect back to our
heart. These simple yoga poses can help quiet negative thoughts and
make you feel more in control.
Book your Free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery Call
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most
advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact
frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce
melatonin for restorative sleep and health)
Visit BLUBlox website at: http://bit.ly/BLUBlox
Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15%
discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Got questions? Join
Fertile Support Group
for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare
for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about
functional fertility solutions that will help you have your
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page
- filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive
discounts and support the show by making purchases
Other ways to support:
Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
Together we are strong.