Jan 11, 2021
Justine Altman joins us today as we’re digging into why addressing
constipation matters if you are TTC.
I remember going away on a girl's weekend (remember those!?!) and
somehow we got around to the topic of poop!
Well, it turns out half of the girls on the trip weren’t pooping
regularly…as in they were going every couple of days or some even
going only once per week!
Now I’ve always been regular (I know TMI) but it turns out we all
need to poop an average of 1-3 times/day. I know it sounds like a
But when we don’t move our bowels regularly – toxins recirculate in
our body and that is not helpful for our fertility.
If you are constipated or even if you suffer from gas, bloating,
digestive upset, and more let’s figure out how we can alleviate
your symptoms so that you can get pregnant naturally.
In this episode you'll learn:
1) The connection between estrogen
and constipation and what this means for your fertility (this is
for you if you have PMS, hot flashes, headaches, and more).
2) The idea of bowel frequency and what our poop is telling us
about our health. (Hint don’t be afraid to look at your
3) The connection between constipation and thyroid problems. Plus
how chronic stress impacts constipation.
4) Strategies to improve constipation plus foods to avoid and add
to your diet.
5) Supplement recommendations to help alleviate symptoms so that
you can prepare your body for pregnancy.
04:32- INTRO TO TODAY'S TOPIC AND JUSTINE'S
05:50- ALARMING STATS CONCERNING
06:29- WHY IS LOOKING AT CONSTIPATION IMPORTANT FOR
- What causes constipation (and why it's a concern)
- It's common, but it's not NORMAL
- An important topic for BOTH men and woman
09:05- FREQUENCY AND
WHAT WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR
- The ideal
schedule for going to the bathroom
- Warning signs
to know if "something is off"
- How long
should your poop be? What should it look like?
- Why even if
you are going often doesn't mean everything is ok
CONSTIPATION VS. "EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE"
14:25- THYROID ISSUES
AND ITS' TIE TO CONSTIPATION
there is an issue of the thyroid, it's rarely about the
- "Everything is
17:19- GUT INFECTIONS
difference between healthy and unhealthy flora
constipation is one of the first things we have to look at when
healing the gut
19:58 MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY AND
- How COMMON magnesium deficiency?
- "Magnesium is a goofy thing."
- So how much do you really need?
22:02- MIND/BODY IMPLICATIONS OF
- "If your mind is tense we tend to tense our
- Making space for the potty and being intentional
- Why use a squatty potty? Which one should we use?
- Rebounding and dry brushing for constipation
- "All of it is connected."
27:40- OTHER SOLUTIONS TO ADDRESS
- Why we should take our time while eating and chew every
- Drinking more water eating fiber
- The digestive process and what that means for constipation
- The rest and digest mindset (and why it matters)
- Breathing exercises before you eat
33:25- VAGUS NERVE STIMULATION
- Different ways to stimulate your vagus nerve (and why you
35:10- FOODS TO AVOID TO HELP WITH
- Dried fruits, dairy, nuts, and other foods to be
37:25- COLONICS, ENEMAS, and MINERAL
- What are they and should we use them?
- Mineral levels and constipation
40:17- SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
- Magnesium supplement recommendations
- What about powdered supplements?
- Why aloe vera is important and how it can help
- Salt shots and why we sometimes want to raise sodium
47:14- FINAL THOUGHTS ON CONSTIPATION
- "It's really hard to heal if we
- Why we address constipation FIRST
Book your Free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery Call
As you may know, I was diagnosed with POF/POI at 28
and had both my children with donor eggs. Years later I discovered
the root cause of my infertility was food sensitivity, gut
infection, and chronic stress.
I know that what you place on your fork every day
does matter for your fertility - it's the first place we start with
our Fab Fertile Method.
Starting Monday, Jan 11th
I'll be hosting the Fertility Diet Challenge LIVE in the Fab
Fertile Support Group.
The Fertility Diet Challenge is about taking ACTION
with your partner. You'll be eligible for prizes, personalized
support from my team, and insight into how diet is impacting your
Got questions? Join
Fertile Support Group
for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare
for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about
functional fertility solutions that will help you have your
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page
- filled with handpicked products/books/devices - get exclusive
discounts and support the show by making purchases
Other ways to support:
Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
Together we are strong.